Sunday, January 31, 2010

Wild Wing Suwanee

Last night I played the Wild Wing Cafe in Suwanee with the Yacht Rock Schooner (the B band to the Yacht Rock Revue).

It's a strange feeling getting dressed for a Yacht Rock gig at home.  I have become "that guy" when I put on those clothes;  it's weird to put on my clothes and walk through through the house.
I pulled up to the Wild Wing across town--in a shopping center with a Wal Mart and a Dollar Tree, and I couldn't help but think that I was going to kick everybody's ass--in the band, in the audience, in Suwanee.  The environment definitely challenged me.  I was playing with a big chip on my shoulder.

The band played pretty well.  Some things, Peg, for instance, really grooved.  I think they're still trying to find bedrock on some of the other tunes.  I can't remember what it felt like when we started out, so I can't say that we didn't have the same struggles.  We've reached a point, musically, where we have our identity, and I don't think they have that yet.  It feels like eight guys trying to come together.  It's not a band yet.

Tonight's my regular church gig.  No biggie.  I need to get ready for next week's stuff (which starts TOMORROW!!!).  I have a trio gig Monday night with Tyrone Jackson, and I need to be good on that one.  Tuesday morning Yacht Rock leaves for a gig in Mexico, so I need to feel good about my playing for that too.
www.davidfreemanmusic.com