Sunday, December 20, 2009

Yacht Rock Holiday Special


Yacht Rock played two gigs back to back this week.

The first was our regular 10 High gig on Thursday night. I did not play well. I probably got 70 percent of it right, but there 30 percent really bugged me--it was lots of just not concentrating through the whole song. It was kind of like I kept forgetting what I was doing. The big song I needed to nail, Moonlight Feels Right, came off pretty well. I did fine on the keyboard part. The only problem was I forgot I had to play the marimba solo (on EWI), so halfway through the song, I had to stop playing the keyboard part to set up the EWI. The whole night was like that.

Friday we met up at Dave FM to play on Mara Davis' lunchtime radio show. It went really well. She really dug it, and we played well. The live radio things are always very strange because we play so quietly--there are no headphones, so we're balancing to unamplified vocals. It sounds radically different. Combine that with the fact that I really didn't want to screw up on the radio, and it makes for quite a tightrope!

Friday night was the big Yacht Rock show at the Variety Playhouse. We sold it out (capacity 1,100 people)! The final ticket sold while we were loading in equipment that afternoon. How cool is that!
The show went well. Everything that had scared me on Thursday was fine on Friday. No big problems. The Rosanna solo was still a little shaky, but not the total disaster that it has been.
Other than that, things were great! We closed out the gig with We are the World.

photos by Julien Photography:




photos by Beth Freeman: