Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Halloween and Beyond

It's been a few days since I last checked in.

Yacht Rock made it through Thriller with no problems. Well...there were problems, but not of the band variety. Hosts of the party Spiral Entertainment oversold the venue by 1,200 people, and then tried to figure out how all those people would be able to hear us play Thriller, and then decided that it was not a concert and if everybody couldn't hear the band that was ok, which is funny because they had originally booked the event at Center Stage, a concert venue.
I didn't have much to do in Thriller, which was good because about halfway into the first song I noticed the red light flashing on my wireless MIDI transmitter. Miraculously, I was able to limp through the gig by turning it off every chance I got.
We ended up playing the album downstairs on the patio, and then we moved through the throng upstairs to the room upstairs to play two sets of Yacht Rock. It was a poor moment for me to lose my earplugs. I ended up stationed behind the bass amp, and I would crawl up onto the drum riser for solos. Bad luck would have it that I didn't have much to do in either of these sets--I played saxophone once in each set, plus flute on Lowdown. Other than that, it was mostly synth parts.

Sunday was a day of recovery. I played my church gig that night, and that was about it.

Yesterday (Monday), was back to normal teaching. Nothing much to say about that.

Check out this New York Times article about cool wedding bands.