Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Wednesday White Guy


I did a jazz gig tonight with Jace Honage down at Centennial Olympic Park. We were part of a series called "Wednesday Wind Down." It was cool; Tyrone Jackson brought me on board for this one. The drummer was Henry (I can't remember his last name), and the one and only Ramon Pooser on bass. My first real jazz gig in months. I was pretty amped up about it. Tyrone is one of my favorite people both musically and personally; I hadn't played a gig with Ramon in probably ten years; I'd never met Henry (or Jace).

I showed up at the park and I was the only white guy for miles around...so this is how it feels! Years ago I did a gig with a singer in Augusta in a nightclub where I was the only caucasian. Also quite an expericence! Alot of feeling like I have to prove myself.

On to the gig. We opened with two instrumentals, Yes and No and The Chicken. I played both like my life depended on it--maybe not such a good thing. I find that when I haven't done a jazz gig and then I jump up and have to play something like that, I tend to spray notes, and my mind races along. It's like trying to watch the bullets come out of a machine gun. I get excited and I try and push the musical energy around instead of playing ideas. It usually takes me about three or four tunes to settle down. By then, the instrumentals were over and we were into the gig. Everything went well. We had fun and the band sounded really good. Jace said she got a few gig offers based on this show, so with any luck there will be more.

And jeez...Tyrone was on fire! The best pianist in town, bar none. That guy can do ANYTHING.