Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sunday into Monday


Sunday was sort of a weird day. I got home from my experience at The Earl, cooled off for an hour or so, and went to bed. I think I woke up late in the morning on Sunday. It was hard to tell because of the rain. Anyway, I unloaded my gear from the car, took it upstairs, and reset for my gig that night. I ate, showered, and it was about time to head out the door.
My gig Sunday night was me on saxes and flute, Wayne Viar on percussion (that's Wayne up there in the pic), and Jeff Burnisky on turntables (?)--he's a DJ. Basically the idea is that he supplies the groove and the vibe, and then Wayne and I play over the top of it. It works--people eat it up. The only problem is that the turntables never get tired (and never stop), so it's hard to figure out how to take a break, so I end up playing for three hours straight!
This gig featured parking validation, which is a beautiful thing. We were told to valet, so I did. I took my validation to the valet, and they said, "That'll be $15." I said, "How much without the validation?" She said, "$20." I said, "So it's almost worthless." She said, "Every little bit helps, I guess." I was not happy with that. I wasn't going to tip the guy who brought my truck around...I wasn't happy with the validation and I only had a $5 bill in my wallet, but I thought, not his fault. So, my truck came around and I gave the guy my $5 (my "validated parking" has now cost me $20!), and I get in and the seat has been pushed all the way back and the side mirror has been pushed out of position! I nearly jumped out and asked for my $5 back. That was a low blow.

Monday night was the usual stuff. The most expensive babysitter I know.

I'm getting ready for some sort of pseudo-jazz gig in Centennial Park this Wednesday night. I'm playing with a woman named Jace Harnage from 7 to 8. There are charts to write and charts to read, and it's been eating up my time. Some things are Natalie Cole and some things are Jill Scott. I now know that I am not a Jill Scott fan. The rest of the band is Tyrone Jackson, Ramon Poozer, and Melvin Jones (plus a drummer of whom I do not know). Good band! I've got to start getting comfortable with this stuff so I don't suck.