Friday, August 7, 2009

Seasickness


Last night was a strange one, and not in a particularly good way.

From about Tuesday night on, I've been dealing with a cold, giving me some snot, some body ache, and sinus headaches for a few days. Because of that, I've been laying low, trying to sleep and let my body do it's thing in destroying whatever this is.
My problem with this (other than feeling run down), is that I did not devote the time to practicing for the gig--going over and over my parts so I get them right the first time. Therefore, I had lots of strange little mistakes all night. Nothing major, but I was permanently a couple of seconds behind where I needed to be, so I wasn't able to anticipate things well. I was groggy.
This is also why I will be building my setup in the garage in an hour and playing through everything.

Special thanks to the group of women who showered me with attention, even though I denied their repeated requests to take my shirt off.

At some point in the first set, whatever Nick ate for supper decided to try and kill him, and he causually came over at one point to let Dannells and me know that he might throw up on us. Wonderful. So we had that working against us, too. By the time he left, he looked really rough. Hopefully he was able to let go of whatever was bothering him.

One cool thing that happened: we whipped up a tribute for John Hughes, 80s movie maker--we played "Don't You Forget About Me". It was super cool. Awesome song, and an awesome moment. I hope we get to hit that one again tonight.

The show must go on! We're at Andrews Upstairs tonight, beginning around 10:30 PM. Tonight will be better.