Friday, July 3, 2009

Thursday!


I woke up today and both my arms were asleep. I was like a rag doll--I could barely roll myself over (one arm was in the way!). At least I hadn't metamorphised into a roach.
Between my arms not working and having no idea what time it was, I'm off to a weird start.

I am pleased to report that after several weeks of wondering, I have solved the problem I was having with my EWI. Namely, I was concerned about it not reacting to me in a predictable fashion. I got out my manual Wednesday night and tweaked my settings, and it's back to normal. I guess the thing gradually got off, and I'd never bothered to notice. I had to reset the pitch bend, because it turns out it was always on (probably half my problems!). The breath sensor I reset to feeling good, and then I padded it a little to compensate for the fact that I've been playing in hot and humid conditions (the 10 High and outside) lately, and if I don't take that into account, and starts to play on its own.

I am still interested in eventually getting a second EWI, due to the fact that I can't take it to just anyone and have it worked on, and at this point I'm using it on average two gigs per week. There's no running it to Bryan Lopes' house to have something fixed right before!

Last night at the 10 High went very well. We were at capacity before we got on stage, and there was a line snaked around the side of the building. Very cool. Playing for a packed room is an amazing feeling, and of course there's lots of love for the saxophone. Whenever I walk to the front of the stage, people (and by people I mean HOT women!) start cheering wildly. It's easier to really go for it when the audience is like that. It can feel a little silly playing something like Baker Street and trying to really milk it when the crowd couldn't care less. I become much more aware of my stage movements, and I feel stupid.

On the subject of equipment, I feel like both reeds I played (tenor and alto) are going a little dead, but it's a nice spot for what I'm doing--that is to say, I'm not playing in a quiet, acoustic setting, so the fact that they feel like cardboard at a softer volume isn't as important as their ability to take alot of air and not close up on me. The end is near for them, but I may be able to squeeze a few more notes out of them. Both have lasted about twice as long as usual. The reed gods are on my side these days.