Saturday, July 4, 2009

Friday Yacht Rock


So...I turned up to Yacht Rock last night, and they'd closed the parking lot in front of Andrews in order to make a "beach" for a Fourth of July party. Hmmm. Where will our fans park?
The crowd rolled in late, but they all made it eventually. It turned out much better than we expected (numbers-wise). We had thoughts of everybody holding out for the party at Park Tavern today (we're there 8-11 PM tonight).

In the continuing saga of what can go wrong with my equipment...you may recall how my EWI has run out of battery at Andrews the past two months. This month, I put in new batteries before the gig. Predictably, my EWI died right in the middle of the first set. I don't know what happened. Maybe there was a bad battery in the group of four (they're rechargable batteries, so maybe one was old and had lost its juice). Anyway, that was not cool. I put in another four batteries and everything was fine for the rest of the night. What a pain, though...it messes with my head.

There were lots of weird things last night. I think we were all a little flat, and labored to get to the end of the gig. I didn't feel like I was there. Kind of like the gig was going on in the background, and I was paying attention sometimes, but sometimes...I don't know. I wanted to be awesome, but I couldn't get it going. Lots of "oops, I missed that" kind of stuff (in both corners of the room). It happens...we'd played really well the night before at the 10 High, but there wasn't much magic at Andrews. We tried, but it wouldn't come.

Fingers crossed...hopefully we can summon the spirits from Koko's Boat House. Hope to see you tonight at the Park Tavern.