Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My Broken Body Clock


So...
I woke up at 5:30 this morning, wide awake and thinking about the keyboard parts I need to practice for this week's Yacht Rock. It's now 8 AM, which means I've been hammering out string parts to Magic and Don't Go Breakin' my Heart for a couple of hours. I feel good about both songs, though. Those are usually the ones that kill me, and once I've really trashed them, I lose all confidence in what I'm doing. This time will be different. I noticed that most of my keyboard practice as of late had been the frantic "what chord is next?" kind of stuff, so instead I practiced everything slowly with the metronome and got it all down.
Waking up absurdly early happened to me last week, too. I'm guessing it's a combination of trying to keep up with Jack (going to the pool, mostly), trying to get all my stuff done, and also work. Sometimes I accidentally crash a little earlier than I should, and then I wake up in a panic over what I didn't practice the night before.

For some reason, this is a bad week for teaching. Everybody is out doing something else this week, and I think I have about three students a day. Not good for the wallet! Next week is local marching band hell week, so that should pretty rough too, but the middle schoolers will hopefully be back in the groove.

...and no, this picture is not of Reggie. It looks alot like him, though!