Monday, April 20, 2009

Monday


So...I'm doing laundry today, and then going to teach. Not very exciting, but then again, Mondays never are. It looks like I'll have an hour off in the middle to maybe practice, which should be nice.

For some reason, the pollen really kicked in yesterday evening, and I've been itching my eyes and blowing my nose constantly for about the last eighteen hours. I was kind of hoping all the rain would have washed the air clean of this stuff. Then again, maybe it's just inside the house.

Here's hoping my gigs this week are musically satisfying. It's getting to the point where I would trade the money on the gig for a sustained divine musical experience. I got a little of that Saturday night (courtesy of Marcus Miller, Grover Washington, Jr., and Mark Cobb), but Sunday was pretty bleak. We'll see what this week brings.

Kevin Harry sent me some pictures he's taken of me at gigs we've played recently. Here's a photo of me playing flute at someone's wedding ceremony. As always, I wish I was playing more flute. I love playing flute. It's a very different thing from saxophone or clarinet, and I like not only the flexibility of bending and altering the tone, but also the fact that I can use the color behind something else without intruding. With saxophone, I usually have to play around something else going on, but with flute it's very easy to stay in the background and then bring it forward in the music. It's very cool.
davidfreemanmusic.com