Monday, October 7, 2019

FL-GA-TN

Wednesday: We've had a string of Wednesday gigs going, ending with this one in Grayton Beach, Florida at A.J.'s, a roadside dive bar a half mile north of the Gulf of Mexico. On this particular night, we were guests of Berkshire Hathaway--some sort of corporate party thing, so we crammed the gear onto a tiny stage and got ready to play.


Setting up in this space wasn't too bad, and soundcheck was quick and painless, so I went for a run before dinner. It wasn't too hot, but the humidity made up for it!



For a private gig, this one wasn't too bad--the crowd (which appeared to be mainly middle aged women) was on the dance floor early in the night. Between the people watching and the TV watching (there was a screen in my line of sight that played Gomer Pyle USMC, Green Acres, and two episodes of Hogan's Heroes), I was occupied.


Tuesday night, I'd begun to feel the beginnings of a cold, and around the time we finished this gig, I was dying! I was in bed within minutes of arriving at the hotel, and slept as late as I could.

Thursday: Back in the van, back to Atlanta. I slept in the back seat for as much of the trip as I could.

When we hit town, we went straight to Callanwolde Arts Center for a fundraiser gig. Being more tired and more sick than the day before, this one was that much more difficult to get through.



We made it through, though, and got the gear back in the trailer and went our separate ways. I took my snotty handkerchiefs and sweaty running clothes home and went straight to bed.

Friday: Big fun in the morning. Our dryer died Tuesday night, and Friday was the only time I had to work on the repair (blown thermal fuse).


And then, it was off to Knoxville for our inaugural show at the Mill and Mine! Nice room!


Featuring lots of bead board backstage!



Yay, Knoxville! Who knew almost 900 people would show up on our first night in town? Nice room, nice sounds. I can dig it.


Saturday: On to The Signal in Chattanooga. I like this place, too, for similar reasons. Nice green room, nice stage, good sounds in my ears.



Bonus: we had ample time to go find food after soundcheck, and several of us walked a couple of blocks to a food court/food hall called Market South--basically a collection of several restaurants with group seating in the middle. You order from a big menu and the server takes it from there. Market South had a pizza place, an Asian place, and...


...an Indian place! I had vegetable vindaloo, a side of rice, some kind of dahl, roti, and a weird pickles + deli mustard thing that I didn't eat. The rest of it was really great, though.


Back to the gig! Lots of people at this one--another good show!



We drove back to Atlanta after the gig.

Sunday: The dryer is fixed!

In other news, my cold is gone, but now I have an enormous, angry stye on my left eye! What I thought was swollen sinuses (from the cold) has become its own thing. I'm glad to have a week at home to deal with this.


Gigs this week:

Friday, October 11: Music on the Hill (Roswell) with Bumpin' the Mango
Saturday, October 12: Summit Rocks (Johns Creek) with Yacht Rock Revue