Monday, September 23, 2019

Easy

Easy week this week. 

Wednesday: Yacht Rock played a corporate gig at the Roxy in Atlanta. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I am a big fan of playing at the Roxy because 1. the stage is nice and sounds good; 2. it's located in my part of town (northwest of the city). It took me 25 minutes to get there in traffic, and 16 minute to get home at the end of the night. I can dig it.

Anyway, Pete got a new 12 string guitar! I believe this was a purchase from when we played at the Sweetwater Pavilion in Fort Wayne, IN earlier this year. Looks snazzy.



It's always funny/irritating when Review is spelled incorrectly, right next to our logo where Revue is spelled correctly.


This was a really easy, relaxed gig. I had some good solos, too.


Ganesh subbed on drums.


Thursday was an exciting night for me because I got to play the tenor book with Bumpin' the Mango. Their gig was also in my part of town (20 minutes away)--back to back gigs where I never had to get on I-75! We played for what amounted to a block party ("Alive in Roswell"), a regular Thursday night happening here.

Here's the set up. Tents are scary for live sound, but they took the sides off before we started and that helped a bit (and also the heat).


I got the setlist at the beginning of the week and attacked it, and so I felt very prepared by Thursday, and played really well, if I do say so myself. It was a giddy ride home afterwards.

photo by Andy Estes
No gigs on Friday or Saturday, but I did play my church gig Sunday evening. I felt a lot better about my playing at the service than I did at rehearsal (even though I'd warmed up before leaving home--it wasn't like I was walking in cold), and it dawned on me that it probably has to do more with the rooms (dead basement room with an out of tune upright piano vs. big stone cathedral with a grand piano) than anything I'm doing.