Monday, July 15, 2019

Two Night Stand

Thursday: Unplugged. Right as we were beginning the first song of the evening, Lovely Day, I decided that instead of playing my parts on keyboard, I would play flute. That was a stupid idea.  I played a gig's worth of wrong notes in the intro, verse, and chorus. Fortunately, things got better from there.

The rest of the gig was fine. Monkeyboy didn't feel good about his playing, so Reeling in the Years was a much slower shuffle, and felt like it should've been a bonus track on Eric Clapton's Unplugged record.


Also, not actually part of the gig, but I took a decent organ solo on Heart to Heart at soundcheck.



Ganesh, holding it down on the drums
We left all the gear set up for Friday, which meant no load out and no Friday soundcheck, which was...really nice! I packed up my horns and split. 

Friday: It didn't occur to me until we'd already played the left hand column, but there wasn't much saxophone on Friday's gig. I'd guess that we played an hour and a half before we hit Reeling in the Years.


Other than that, it was a pretty regular gig. Home by midnight.

I forgot to take any pictures all night. This is the last note of the gig.

No Saturday gig, but I did play my church gig on Sunday afternoon, and somehow lucked into a good day of flute playing, one where I felt confident in my intonation and dynamics (often I am NOT confident in my intonation and everything goes straight to hell) . I even got a couple of compliments, ending the weekend in stark contrast to the musical hand grenade that began Thursday night. 

A twenty-ish year old girl came up to ask me about my flute and getting a good sound, and I wandered off for a good five minutes talking about eBay and European headjoints and Jeffrey Kahner (principal flutist of the Philadelphia Orchestra) before I realized that the correct answer was just "It's a Yamaha flute." Sorry!