Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Schooner Sub

I subbed with our friends the Yacht Rock Schooner for a daytime gig on Tuesday. This one was some sort of beach themed lunch party. Really hot. Nobody wanted to be outside. It appeared that most people came out, got their food, and then retreated to the air conditioning.

pre-gig


I did what I could. The Schooner uses a saxophonist in addition to the two keyboard players (on this gig, I was only playing saxophone), so I played some horn parts along with one of the keyboardists playing the horn parts...I think? It wasn't always easy to hear.

Also, I was on my spare set of saxophones for this, and my tenor had not one but two loose screws that caused all sorts of chaos until I could get it back together. It was the arm that holds G# closed, and the arm over the upper F cup, in case you're wondering. Because of their close proximity, I'm betting I banged that part of my horn on something, probably months ago, and it's just now showing up.

Anyway, except for the heat, it was pretty painless. They served us BBQ for lunch, so I ate the granola bar I keep stashed in my car.

during the gig

Let's do a finger update! Since the infection opened and the swelling began to recede, things are better. I should be pretty close to normal by this weekend.