Monday, January 28, 2019

Utah, Johnny

Yacht Rock played the Sundance Film Festival in Utah last Saturday. It was a loooooooong day, faaaaaaaaar away, and I was tiiiiiiiiiiiiired when it finally ended.

Got on a plane in Atlanta around noon...


Watched all of Mission Impossible: Fallout and half of Gone Girl. Mission Impossible was pretty good. Gone Girl was kind of slow at the beginning.



Nice views. 


Landed in Salt Lake City three and a half hours later. Got in a van and rode forty-five minutes out of town with our driver dude, who talked to Zach for the whole ride about things like "totally shredding the gnar." We might have egged the conversation on a little, too (brah).


Got to Park City, dumped our bags, and hung out around all of these people who were working/networking/being seen/hanging out. We also ate a bunch of food, and then they brought us the food we had ordered, and we were too full to eat that too.


 More hanging out. Someone brought a dog (Eckie) to the hang, so we all got a chance to say hi.



We set up and sound checked, and then went back for more waiting.



Eventually, it was time to get dressed.


We played the first set. This TV was on a loop playing clips of the Bee Gees, Smokey and the Bandit, the Roseanna video, a few 70s commercials, the intro shots of Dallas, Falcon Crest, and Dynasty (but NOT Fantasy Island), a weird Fleetwood Mac video that looked to be late 80s, the part of Caddyshack where Rodney Dangerfield's boat is out of control in the harbor, a Chuck Mangione Memorex commercial (and I was like "Hey, that sax player (Chris Vadala) just died like a week ago!"), and I don't remember what else. I was certainly distracted, though, which was good and bad.



Ella...the real answer is "Who geeeeeeves a sheeeeet."

Guessing what was next helped me pass the time, because holy shit my in ear mix sounded bad. Not a good room for a live band. In spite of that, social media videos show that the out front sound was good.

This was a pretty raging party, if I do say so myself. Definitely didn't feel like a corporate event--it felt more like a house party.


The second set happened, and then we went into overtime, and at some point, my brain started to brown out because it was 1:30 AM inside my skull.


And then it finally ended, we changed, got back in the van, and headed back to Salt Lake City to our hotel. Greg woke me up in the middle of the night because I was snoring like a freight train.

Back to the airport. Bought a shitty, overpriced veggie panini from an SLC airport restaurant. Got on the plane. The rest of Gone Girl was good--it gets a thumbs up from me. I also squeezed in a viewing of Bohemian Rhapsody, which was super damn great, and I managed to get the whole thing in, with the credits rolling right as my row in the plane was ready to exit. Boom.


I'm working Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday, this week, so check back frequently for more exciting moments in my life. OK bye.