Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Last Weekend

Here we go...super quick recap of last weekend's Yacht Rock gigs.

Thursday: Played Purple Rain again at Venkman's. We played the record in May, I believe? I had maybe 80 percent recall when I started trying to play it again--it took a few days to get it back together in my hands and head.

Overall, I did pretty well. There were maybe two spots of "Does it do that right here?", but no major disasters.

Here's the show, in case you missed it.







Friday: We traveled to Birmingham to play a regular ol' Yacht Rock gig at Avondale Brewing Co. It looked to be hot, but by the time the sun went down, it wasn't too bad.

I went for a run before the show, guessed wrong on the distance of the loop I had chosen, and had to book it back to the brewery.

TWO THOUSAND PEOPLE SHOWED UP FOR THE GIG. Holy hot damn. One of our most impressive sell outs.


I had some seriously bad brain farts on this one, most notably leaving the octave pedal on for the solo in Only the Good Die Young. A little rusty, I guess.

Saturday: After wasting most of the day in Birmingham, we traveled on to Oxford, Mississippi for a private party at The Lyric. Nice room! Sounded good, and the load in was, for the most part, hassle free.


I went for a really shitty run this morning, so no pre gig run. I went for a short walk around town--Oxford is one of those places that I've only ever seen in Southern Living. Mississippi still holds a lot of charm for me, even as my remaining family there grows further away.




William Faulkner


This was not the most exciting gig ever. Nice room, nice people (maybe a hundred and fifty?), but it was kind of a low energy birthday party. Easy enough, though, and I felt a little more together, musically speaking, than the previous night.


Sunday: The drive home was around six hours of mega boredom.