Thursday, August 17, 2017

Indiana Revival

A week ago, Yacht Rock returned to Indianapolis (again!) for a Revival show with Robbie Dupree, Matthew Wilder, Elliot Lurie, and Peter Beckett at the Indiana State Fair.

The travel and the soundcheck were fairly painless and the weather was great. Something about the show, though...I just felt really uncomfortable the entire time. Maybe it's the quicker pacing, the need to keep the energy up, and the less-well-known second and third songs by each of the artists, but I just couldn't get in the groove. All of this discomfort culminated in my failure to change the EWI to the correct sound for the Rosanna solo, the first half of which sounded like a middle school band falling down a flight of stairs.

I went through the setlist a few days ago, thinking that there would be bomb craters next to every song, and other than the Rosanna crash, a three measure faceplant in Arthur's Theme a flesh wound in Break My Stride, my injuries were all in the much less known follow up hits that we never play, so nobody probably even heard them anyway. I felt bad about all of it, though.

Here are some clips where I didn't blow it. Literally and figuratively.