Friday, February 20, 2015

More Dave and Dave


David Ellington and I brought our duo to the west side last night, crammed into a nook in a bar.  We are very thankful for the gig, indeed--without this place and our monthly restaurant thing in Decatur, I'd have no jazz outlet.

The music played before, after, and on the breaks was really loud--REALLY LOUD!!!, and definitely not in line with what we were doing during our set.  I think that from now on I'm going to iPod the breaks through Ellington's amp to try and keep things the same.  Plus...holy shit--it was loud.  Ellington and I laughed about the difference in volume between our stuff and their canned music.  On one break, a customer came over to me and asked me if I could turn down the music, and I had to break it to her that it was not something I could control--it was the bar's stuff while we were relaxing for a moment.  I felt like we were the break music between the barrages of hipster rock.

We're not back until early April.  Hopefully we'll be outside for that one?  It's a better gig when we're on the patio.  The passing trains aren't that loud (by comparison).

Anyway, check out the music.