Monday, July 14, 2014

Beatles

Please Pleaserock Me (the Yacht Rock guys playing the Beatles) did a two night stand at Smith's Olde Bar this past Friday and Saturday, mowing down four sets of music for two very good crowds.

Smith's got a new menu and better food--yay!  On the flip side, the bathroom upstairs is still disgusting.  No soap at the sink either night, and no towels in the towel dispenser Saturday night.  How do all the employees wash their hands before returning to work?

Friday:  


A very easy night for me.  My only disaster of the evening was the little two measure sax solo at the end of Jet.  I couldn't see what I'd written on my chart.  Well, maybe that and Hide Your Love Away.  When the set list was emailed out, I misread it thinking that we'd played that song before, and since I didn't have a chart for it, I didn't even bother listening to it.  Turns out it WAS a new tune with a flute part at the end.  Oops.  Bencuya played the flute part on organ.  I played tambourine on two and four.

One of the best things about this gig is listening to Bencuya play like Billy Preston.  Totally awesome.

Paul Poovey reading down the tambourine part for Happiness is a Warm Gun



Saturday:

An even better crowd and even more fun!

Once again, a pretty easy evening.  We must've had more people in there this night because the air conditioner could not keep up.  Smith's brought in some electric fans to try and circulate the air during the second set.




Smith's was even cool enough to provide a couple of guys at the end of the night to carry gear down the stairs for us.  I didn't have anything for them to move, but the help with the bass cabinet, guitar cabinets, drums, and keyboards was very nice.

Big week coming up!  The Yacht Rock Revival is in Piedmont Park this weekend.