Monday, April 28, 2014

Saturday into Sunday

I've been delayed in writing this by Hank Mobley's Soul Station.  Just as awesome and singing as the first time I heard it.



Saturday:  Yacht Rock played a big party at the Atlanta Athletic Club--the third year in a row we've played this event.  They're into it from the first note, so it's always fun.  The first year we were outside, but now they do it in their indoor tennis facility, which is way better--less pollen, less direct sunlight during set up/soundcheck.


Ugh.  Speaking of soundcheck, we had one of the longest, most brutal sound checks ever.  It was at least an hour and a half, maybe two hours of boredom and frustration.  We eventually got what we needed (or could live with for one gig), but the path there was mind numbing.



The gig itself was great.  These people are cool, and their women are hot and expensive.  More of that, please, especially if they'll help load our gear out at the end of the night.  Maybe next year?


Sunday:  I'm back to only having my PM church gig.  I hope everybody at my AM church gig is severely disappointed that I'm not there anymore.


The PM church gig was pretty good.  They had some dudes come and check the sound system, and discovered that G is an extremely resonant note in the cathedral.  Yep--evidence of that at last week's mass.  What they're going to do about it remains to be seen.  In the mean time, I will keep doing what I'm doing.


Afterwards, I went to Smith's Olde Bar to check out Jake Clemons (nephew of Clarence Clemons, Springsteen saxophonist).  I guess I should've investigated it beforehand--not what I was expecting.  He played a sax solo on part of the first tune, but the rest of the time he played acoustic guitar.  I ended up watching more of this gig than I wanted only so I could get a picture of him with his horn for my blog, but it didn't happen, and I had to leave.  I wasn't into it at all.  I guess I was expecting there to be lots of saxophone--maybe some kind of a soul band with him singing and taking solos?  It was more like watching a Northpoint band play a set.

I woke up on the couch in the middle of the night.  Thus the week ended.