Friday, March 28, 2014

JCT Duo


David Ellington and I played another sax/organ duo, this time at the westside restaurant JCT Kitchen and Bar.  We're still working on our list of Blue Note tunes, and this being our third gig, things are beginning to come together.

Unlike January where we were jammed into a tiny corner of the bar, this time we were outside.  It was a bit windy in the early part of the gig, but the weather calmed after sunset.  We (mostly me) were under a propane heater, so things never got too chilly.  We're already guessing that if we do this gig again in a couple of months, it'll be really nice (late May), and then the one after that will be miserably hot (late July)!  Something to look forward to, I guess.  I'd rather be hot than cold.

So anyway...the gig was really fun, and flew by quicker than either of the previous ones did.  I think, for the most part, we're both getting better at the duo, better at understanding what the other guy is doing and thinking.  It'll take some time!

Here's the audio:



I had a burger and fries as a victory meal.  Highly recommended!