Saturday, February 1, 2014

JCT Kitchen


I had a nice organ trio gig at JCT Kitchen Thursday night, part of their little series of music on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights.  Justin Chesarek played half of a drum set (1 cymbal, hi hats, snare, and bass drum), and David Ellington brought his smallest organ setup.  We were jammed in the corner, but made the best of it, with some of the gear on the bench that lines the wall, and Dave sat on his subwoofer instead of an organ bench.  Not only were we trying to fit into the space;  we were also fighting the less than ideal acoustics (all glass and concrete).  I played the entire gig with material plugging the bell of my horn.

The idea is that once the weather warms up, we'll be out on the patio (much more accommodating for space and volume).

So…still really fun, though!  We focused on Blue Note stuff from the late 50s and early 60s.  I found lead sheets online for many of the tunes--great songs that are underplayed!  Things got loose in a few spots, but overall I think it sounded good, especially considering that Dave and I got together to play through the tunes for the first time earlier in the day, and Justin played the gig without any rehearsal (but he's awesome enough to pull it off).


To top it off, they fed us afterwards.  Super good food.  We had burgers and fries all around.  I highly recommend them.