Friday, November 15, 2013

Party Time


Yacht Rock played a small party at the Buckhead Theatre last night.  I really have no idea what we were celebrating, but then again, I guess that doesn't affect my job.


As is often the case these days, I have little to say about the gig.  Mark Cobb was particularly inventive and creative in the first set, and Mark Dannells had a really weird/cool solo on How Long.  My personal excitement reached its peak when I began Africa (of course) in the wrong key (using my Bobby Kimball down-a-whole-step set of patches).  Once I realized what was going on, it was an easy fix and I went back to work.   At the end of our show, I ended up in the middle of a conga line on Call Me Al.


There's not much vibe at the Buckhead Theatre (it feels like a nice high school auditorium), but the sound on stage was very good.  After the show, Cobb and I found out that the front of house guy had recorded the whole thing (they were listening to it as they wrapped cables).  Wow!  It sounded great.  We were kind of impressed with ourselves and the front of house mix.

Also, I took home an entire pizza.  Cold.  It was free, though.

Wednesday night, I created a horn part for an original song somebody had sent me, and Thursday mid day I recorded horns over it as a demo--next week I'll probably go in the studio and do it for real.  


Hey, we're in San Diego this Sunday night at the House of Blues.  Come see us!

In other news…I'm currently listening to Larry Goldings, Peter Bernstein, and Bill Stewart live at the Village Vanguard on NPR.  It sounds great.  You can check it out here:  http://www.npr.org/event/music/243027513/peter-bernstein-larry-goldings-bill-stewart-live-at-the-village-vanguard

Also, I bought the newest Jeremy Pelt record, titled Water and Earth.  Excellent stuff.  Dig it.