Monday, September 9, 2013

Sunday

I did my usual church gigs yesterday.

The AM church gig was a lot of fun.  I got an email earlier in the week saying "bring alto and clarinet," which I assumed meant it I'd be playing the first alto part in the concert band.  When I showed up, though, it was a horn section, and they'd made good charts and everything!  Yay!  I so rarely get to play alto beyond the realm of Yacht Rock, so this was really cool.  It also gave me a chance to practice my concert-pitch-to-alto-sax transposition (major sixth/minor third).  I did really well at it--I'm not sure if my brain has finally learned how to do it, or I just got lucky for ten minutes.


We did two services…extra time on alto!

My PM church gig sounded better than it has in a long time.  We've had vocalists in and out all summer, and I think everybody's back now.  Also, the piano sounded really good--my microphone solution has worked out well.  I was listening to the group play and I had to consciously remind myself that I had headphones on--the piano sounds true.  Yay for that!

I haven't really played flute in almost two weeks, and my flute face was bad news.  Back to work!