Friday, September 27, 2013

Double Duty!

I was fortunate to have two nice gigs back to back last night.  The first was a corporate jazz gig;  the second was the debut of Sazerac at Smith's Olde Bar.

I think this is probably the fifth or sixth time I've played this particular jazz gig--an awards dinner for Children's Healthcare.  The basic flow is solo piano in the pre function area, twenty minutes of music to get them in the room, thirty minutes of jazz while they eat, walk up music for the award winners, and a tune to play them out.  They even feed us and pay for parking!


Tyrone Jackson (keyboard), Kevin Smith (bass), and Chris Burroughs (drums) rounded out the group.  Good stuff from all four!

Here's the audio.  I moved my recorder from my music stand to Kevin's, so the final three songs sound a bit different (the microphone being behind the saxophone).



Following this gig, I was out the door and on my way down Piedmont (hit every green light!) to Smith's for the first Sazerac show, opening for the Reynolds and Williams Band.





Sazerac is a New Orleans flavored project comprised of several Yacht Rock guys--Greg Lee on bass and vocals, Mark Dannells on guitar, Mark Cobb on drums, Mark Bencuya on keyboard, Ganesh Giri Jaya (from the Schooner) on percussion and vocals, and me.  In a panic that I wouldn't make it to this gig on time, we added Jordan Shalhoup (also from the Schooner) on saxophone as well.  It was a really cool first gig, even though we played to about fifteen people!  I loved it, though.  This music is fun to play--it's Little Feat, Meters, early Robert Palmer (backed by either Little Feat or the Meters).  That kind of stuff.  Here's the first cut off of our upcoming EP:



This is the set list.  We also played Little Feat's Spanish Moon with Reynolds and Williams.  Nick came by and sat in on Sneaking Sally Through the Alley (we also did our Please Pleaserock Me version of John Lennon's Jealous Guy).


I hope we can learn some more songs and play some more gigs.  This stuff is great, and a nice change of pace for me as I get to play alto and tenor saxophone as well as clarinet.  Putting my college degree to good use!

Reynolds and Williams Band was really good.  Rippin' guitar stuff, and Ganesh on drums!


Upcoming gigs:

September 27, Park Tavern (Atlanta, GA) 
October 4, Greystone at Piedmont Park (Atlanta, GA)
October 5, Music City Southern Hot Wing Festival (Nashville, TN)
October 10, State Theatre (Falls Church, VA)
October 11, Gramercy Theatre (New York, NY)
October 12, Rams Head On Stage (Annapolis, MD)
October 13, Visualite Theatre (Charlotte, NC)
October 19, Variety Playhouse (Atlanta, GA)
October 31, Georgia Theater (Athens, GA)
November 1, Music Farm (Charleston, SC)
November 8, Smith's Olde Bar (Atlanta, GA)--Please Pleaserock Me
November 17, House of Blues (San Diego, CA)
November 27, Egyptian Ballroom (Atlanta, GA)
December 14, Variety Playhouse (Atlanta, GA)