Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Sazerac Session, Day 3

Ouch.  I was up until 4:30 AM, suppressing my David Foster-induced gag reflex in order to get Bill Champlin's tunes on paper.  You're the Inspiration, Hard Habit to Break, Look Away…no thank you.  I liked Chicago better when they had a horn section (and balls).  I was up again at 8:30.

Rehearsal went pretty well.  The above mentioned sugar coated crap went fairly well.  We also reviewed stuff we'll need for next week's world tour of the northeast.  Elliot Lurie's Jimmy Loves MaryAnn bit me in the ass repeatedly.  Looks like I'll be playing that a few hundred times in the next couple of days. 



After lunch and a quickie shower, I was off to my third day of recording on the Sazerac project, Greg Lee and Co.'s New Orleans inspired band.  Today was solo day, and I played some stuff on Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley and Gonna Move.  Inspired by the original, we put two sax solos right on top of each other for Sneakin'.  The result is a cool effect--if I remember, it's takes one and three (or maybe three and four), and I'm using lots of the same ideas, so things get tossed back and forth randomly, but one part never acknowledges the other.  As I'm thinking about now, it was actually kind of Ornette sounding, which is always a plus.  Super damn cool.  I can't wait to hear that!


I made it home around 6:30 PM.  I was asleep at 7, and woke up at 10:45 AM the next day.