Monday, July 22, 2013

Chastain!


Wow!  Yacht Rock held this year's revival at Chastain.  What a great place to play!  It really was an amazing night with a great crowd.  I can't wait to do it again.

Big thanks to Elliot Lurie, Robbie Dupree, Walter Egan, Jeff Carlisi, Bill Champlin, and Bobby Kimball for joining us.  They're all legendary musicians and pretty incredible people.  Thanks to the Schooner and Starbuck for opening things up.

Awesome job by Pleaserock--Nick, Pete, Esther, Kristen, and Nackers for putting it all together.

Great work by our crew of Kip, Zach, Hans, and Kerry, as well as the Chastain staff.

There's nowhere to go but down.

Just kidding.

noon load in

Hans blesses the rains

Good Thing

Carlisi



Bobby Kimball

The crowd estimate I heard from one of the Chastain people was 3,500.


Here's the rundown:  

What a Fool, fine…LA Lindsay, totally bullshitted my solo (blame it on adrenaline)…Dancing in the Moonlight and Brandy, no problems…Good Thing, solo started great but kind of died at the end, and vocally, I'm still wandering around…You Make My Dreams, fine…Hot Rod Hearts, the arpeggio thing I'd screwed up last week in New Jersey was solid…All Night Long, singing high like that makes my tongue and jaw hurt…Steal Away, good, but our attempt to change the ending from what we usually do once again caught me off guard (in other words, I totally screwed it up)…Magnet and Steel and Go Your Own Way, both good…Baker Street, fun…didn't play on the Carlisi stuff, Somebody's Baby and Get Lucky/Night Fever, both good…Turn Your Love Around was good, though my solo on the gig was mediocre--I was better at soundcheck…You're the Inspiration was vocally challenging, and I think I was better on effort than accuracy, though my string and horn parts were solid…Look Away was similarly challenging (Champlin's newer arrangement had Peter and me singing the 2nd resolving to the 3rd, which then becomes the 7th resolving to the root), and I missed it a couple of times…I began Rich Girl with my keyboard still pitched down a whole step, which did not sound good at all…My Old School was fine…we skipped Footloose…everybody likes my piccolo solo in Call Me Al …Rosanna was good…the solo on Africa was a DISASTER--I turned the transpose button off on the EWI somewhere before the solo, so the first phrase was HORRIBLE, in the second phrase I stopped playing (realizing what the problem was) and hit the button, and recovered in the time to play the last phrase correctly…outro solo was decent…Hold the Line was fun, and Lido was good.

Videos:

You Make My Dreams


Baker Street




So Caught Up in You


Turn Your Love Around


You're the Inspiration


Africa






Hold the Line


So…back to normal life!

Upcoming dates:

July 26, The Orange Peel (Asheville, NC)
August 15, Georgia Theatre (Athens, GA)
August 16-17, Smith's Olde Bar (Atlanta, GA)--Please Pleaserock Me show
August 23, Park Tavern (Atlanta, GA)
August 30, House of Blues (Anaheim, CA)
August 31, House of Blues (Hollywood, CA)
September 27, Park Tavern (Atlanta, GA)
October 10, State Theatre (Falls Church, VA)
October 11, Gramercy Theatre (New York, NY)
October 12, Rams Head On Stage (Annapolis, MD)
October 19, Variety Playhouse (Atlanta, GA)
November 1, Music Farm (Charleston, SC)
December 14, Variety Playhouse (Atlanta, GA)