Monday, June 3, 2013

Sunday Night

No Saturday night gig!  Bummer.  I spent the day at the pool;  Saturday night, I stopped by Bryan Lopes' house (also not working Saturday night!) and picked up my new soprano (the 62), which he fixed up for me.  Nice.  Always a great hang.  Lopes was breaking in a reed for his morning church gig.  Funny how a two minute exchange ("here's your horn/here's your money") becomes forty minutes of laughing.

The soprano plays great.  I did mess around with the position of the G key.  The left hand upper octave stuff on this horn is a little different--for one thing, the octave key closes a small tone hole above the usual C.  It brings the upper C# more in tune.  I thought that maybe I wasn't pressing the octave key down all the way sometimes, allowing the C# to go waaaaaaaaaaaaay sharp--like most of the way to D.  In fiddling with the horn and a tuner and paying attention to what my left hand was doing, I realized that touching the G key was allowing the secondary octave key to open a little bit (there's already a little movement when you push the octave key--gotta get Lopes to check that).  Opening the G octave pip sends the C# waaaaaaaaaaaaay sharp.  The solution is to maybe not rest my finger on that key at all (easier said than done), but I also bent the G key down closer to the body a little more so it's not right in the natural curve of my hand.


So…there may be some secondary horn work coming up after all the pads settle and I can get back over there to Lopes' house.  We'll see.  I played it some more Sunday night, and after getting a couple of good reeds happening, the horn is feeling really good.

Anyway…

I got shut out of my Sunday AM church gig.  I guess we all did--it was just a kid's choir with piano accompaniment.  Boo.

Sunday night, I was back on the job at my PM church gig.  Good to be back!  I did a lot of warming up on flute, so I felt good on both horns.  I might actually have a couple of days to play my horns before I have to learn something special for an upcoming Yacht Rock gig!