Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sazerac Session, Day 2

I met up with the one and only Greg Lee (and Wyatt) at Madison Studios for another Sazerac horn session.  Last time we'd done Southern Nights, Gonna Move, Fat Man in a Bathtub, All That You Dream, and It's a New Day.  Tonight's agenda was Give it What You Can, Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley, Sailing Shoes, and Hey Julia.  Not a bad way to spend an evening, eh?


We tackled Give it What You Can first.  Tough tune, somewhat because of my chart (which looked a little complicated when sight-reading), but mostly because of my difficulty with transposing the bari part from concert pitch.  Ouch.  Things got really bogged down.  I sucked real bad.  Perhaps I should have practiced these things before I tried to record them?  Hmm?  Getting all the parts down for this took two and a half hours.  Four horn parts (alto, tenor 1, tenor 2, bari) plus some of the alto up an octave.


From there, things accelerated.  Sneakin' Sally--easy.  Sailing Shoes--yep.  I finally got in a groove.

The last tune of the evening was Hey Julia.  We decided to replace the female vocal parts with a pair of clarinets.  Not a big deal, though I playing something up a whole step but down an octave on clarinet  requires some brain power.  As we began recording the second voice, all of the sudden my head exploded;  I couldn't concentrate, I couldn't remember what I was doing, what the transposition was, how to play.  Everything in my head was screaming AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! and I somehow managed to play without directly thinking about anything--sort of the mental equivalent of "hold still for just a second."  Whew!  With that, the session was over.  Made it!

In the final one, we'll do any touch ups and add the solos (2 alto, 1 tenor).  No transposing!