Friday, April 26, 2013

Convention Bureau Gig


Yacht Rock played a short gig last night at the World Congress Center for the Atlanta Convention and Visitors Bureau.  Short and sweet!  We played one ninety minute set.  Home by midnight.

Things started early in the day with an extreme load in--we had been instructed to enter through the loading dock, up the freight elevator, and around the ballroom.  Easier said than done!  I luckily ran into a couple of event coordinators who helped move my gear.  I still had to find my way back down to the dock, then drive around the block to the red lot.  The World Congress Center is that big.

It seems like I knew everybody at this event.  My friend Jeff Burnisky was the DJ in the ballroom (on a plexiglass platform lowered from the ceiling!), the photographer was Ross from Northlight Photography, and the great Tony Winston Trio was playing before us.  Plus, Matt Sheren (from my morning church gig) was running sound.



Once we found the stage, set up and soundcheck were quick and painless.  Greg Lee showed off some moves with his new bass.




There was enough time for everybody to go home.  Fried chicken, Ritz crackers, and tea for me.

So…back to the gig!  Before I left home for the second time, I reprinted my parking pass, gave it to same lady at the red lot, and she let me in for free again.  Awesome.

The gig was easy and pretty casual, and the sparse crowd enjoyed it, but not in a Park Tavern riot kind of way.  No encore necessary.  Yay!


Burnisky!





I got the solo right on Get Out of My Dreams.  Better late than never.  On the whole, I played well, except for some gruesome chords in Lady and (of all things) the bridge of Power of Love.  Lowdown was back on the setlist after a prolonged absence--I love playing that one.

We loaded out through the B Building front doors onto International, saving us from a Bataan Death March of a load out.

Monkey kisses this pathetic PA goodbye
Big show tonight at the Variety Playhouse tonight!  Come see us play most of the Anchorman soundtrack and an entire set of U2!