Monday, December 17, 2012

The Day After

I staggered home from the Variety Playhouse, put all my gear away, took a shower, and went to bed for a few hours.  Shortly thereafter, I was up again to make my way to my AM church gig.

I played everything I brought--two hymns on flute, a song on tenor, an song on soprano, and the closer on clarinet.  Matt had me on a large diaphragm condenser this week--I don't know if it sounded any better, but I felt like it sounded better.  Bigger microphone, bigger…sound?

I went home and slept all day.

My PM gig was in the parish hall--the cathedral choir had a concert in the main sanctuary (shows you how much they like our mass when we can get kicked out of the church for something of this level--would they do that to the 10 AM Sunday mass?).  Anyway, the parish hall sound is usually a horrible place to play--it's really dead, the band is in a little nook off to the side of the room, the speakers are all in the ceiling, and there's no headroom in the system.  I guess somebody finally dealt with the headroom issue because the band actually sounded pretty good in the room.  Maybe I'm getting better at mixing live sound?  You never can tell.

davidfreemanmusic.net