Friday, April 13, 2012

Spaced Out

The Yacht Rock Revue played our (somewhat) regular 10 High gig last night.  This gig isn't paying nearly what it used to produce, but it's still giving us a couple of extra rehearsals.  We have a pretty big show coming up a week from tonight (Friday), and the opportunity to screw these songs up in front of a smaller crowd is appreciated.

My amp died while I was soundchecking…scared me for a second, but it turned out it was a bad power cable.  I swapped it with the cord from my top keyboard, and it was steady, but then my Fantom would turn off randomly whenever someone came near.  So…bad cable.  I broke out my spare.  Problem solved.

We started out pretty well, in spite of the very thin crowd.  Somewhere towards the end of the first set, I started spacing out.  I was playing, but not paying too much attention.  I wandered around on break (went upstairs and watched baseball), and the first half of the second set, I was mentally NOT THERE AT ALL.  The strings on the chorus of I Want to be Your Lover?  Not in the first chorus--I just watched go by, and it kind of clicked--hey dumbass, it'd be great if you'd play.   Oops!  OK, I'm back…no I'm not.  I missed the flute entrance to Lowdown.  Same thing--I stood there thinking, why is everybody already playing? (it's stacked entrances--bass, guitar and rhodes, flute, then the first verse).  I totally missed it.  I will say that I played a pretty rippin' flute solo.




The rest of the gig floated by.  I don't think I screwed anything else up, but I wasn't paying attention.  Duuuuuhhhhh…

Exciting news…Hans confirmed my suspicion that Heart Attack and Mr. Heart Attack (center of the last picture above) are swingers.  Yuck!

davidfreemanmusic.net