Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Augusta Trio


I had a trio gig last night…in Augusta.  I got a call a few weeks ago asking if I was available.  Yes!  Send me the details!  The reply included the times, attire, and the address for the Augusta Country Club.  Boo.  You could've mentioned that.

It wasn't a big deal because the gig was really fun.  I guess the client had specifically requested a trio of sax, bass, and drums…weird.  Sonny Rollins fans?  The State of the Tenor?  Whatever.  It was cool with me.  When I first did jazz gigs as a leader, I did a bunch of these, but it's been many years since then.  I think I played differently--it was hard to not to ear Sonny in my head.

This trio had Jeff Williams on bass, and Justin Varnes on drums.  I hadn't seen Justin in a couple of years.  He's playing better than ever.  It was great to catch up with him.

The gig finally ended after I got a little out on Ju Ju.  The drunk sunburned guy looked right at me and said, "You can stop."

Here's the audio.  Check it out!

 Augusta Trio by David B Freeman

davidfreemanmusic.net