Monday, March 5, 2012

Shamrocks and Church Gigs

Saturday:  Yacht Rock played our first Park Tavern gig of the year, a long three sets celebrating Ireland and alcohol. This gig was big enough to call for an opening band, which I guess needed its own opening band.  Anyway…three bands.  First two…hmm.  No thanks.

Our first set was all U2-we were Uno, Dos, Tres, Catorce.  As I mentioned the other night, I don't have much to do except worry about my timekeeping on tambourine and shaker.  I drank a lot of beer.  Not sure in hindsight if I should have challenged myself in this way.




If I may so, I thought we were pretty slammin' on the U2 stuff.  The band sounded really good.

After a costume change, we returned as ourselves for two sets of 70s.  More good stuff--in spite of the long day, we hung in there really well.  Steve subbed again on bass.  He kind of bit it on a few tunes in the second set, but we made it fine.  It's easy to forget how many times we've screwed up these tunes in the past three years--now it's automatic for us.  We had a couple of good laughs at his expense!


The crowd was good the entire day--very little of the annoying idiot drunk types.  They even cleared out pretty quickly after we stopped playing, which made load out a little easier.

Sunday:  I did church gig number one.  The big fun of the morning was a sixteen page chart--what the hell?  Those vocal score plus piano accompaniment charts suck.  The rest of the gig was super easy.  I had a good reed and my flute face was good.

Sunday afternoon, I passed on my usual church gig for the chance to play a gig with one of my heroes, Bryan Lopes.  We played at Cross Pointe Church in Duluth--part of the North Point Church system.  Lopes and I played on one tune that had a sax section thing, so he played bari and I played tenor.  It was fun--the song was fine, but the cool thing was that he and hung out for five hours (and played a single four minute song).


The gig itself was fine, but having Lopes there was pretty intimidating.  I got a solo at the end of the song, and as much as I wanted to play something impressive, I ended up aiming more for not playing anything flat out wrong or just really stupid.  Success, I think.

Lopes and I made it a food gig;  they had dinner for the band before the service, and he and I each ate a mountain of Mexican food, and then burped it up for an hour.  It wasn't even very good, but we made the most of it.  They had chips and salsa, and I'm weak.

davidfreemanmusic.net