Friday, March 16, 2012

First Two-fer of the Year!

I played two gigs yesterday.  Yay!

Gig number one was a trio thing at Lenox Square Mall--Kevin Smith (bass), Tyrone Jackson (keyboard), and me.  We were background music at a private event at Neiman Marcus.


Fun stuff…we hadn't played at trio gig since last November, so I was a bit apprehensive about whether or not I'd be able to keep up, play swing eighth notes, remember any tunes, etc.  I think things turned out fine--I felt pretty good until late in the gig when my hands got cold.  The air conditioner also made me kind of pitchy.

Here's the audio:



Not my best move to break in a new tenor reed on the gig.

Soprano reed…brightest reed ever?  Jan Garbarek?

Gig number two was the regular Yacht Rock gig at the 10 High.  This one was pretty good;  the regular band was there except for Mark Cobb.  We played a few that we haven't hit in a while--Kiss You All Over, My Love is Alive, Thunder Island, Baker Street, and Reelin' in the Years. I had fun.



are those P-90s?

The crowd was ok.  It wasn't very packed and they were kind of ambivalent overall, but the 10 High's been pretty hit and miss for a while.

We have a new bartender!  Caloo?  Kaloo?  Tattoo?  She's good lookin'.  Also present were Megan (woo!) and Jessica's boobies.  Yippie!

photo courtesy of Jim Ramsdell

photo courtesy of Jim Ramsdell


I switched my Nord around so the sustain pedal turns the Leslie on and off.  Every time I hit it, though, my brain treated it like a sustain pedal and I would release the piano keys.  Big dummy.  It's going to take a few gigs to get it sorted out mentally.

Today I was up early to unpack my truck and set out across town for a recording session at Peter Stroud's house.  We recorded a couple of sax parts/solos for the upcoming Yacht Rock originals.  It went really well--I was actually kind of relaxed, and I think for the most part I played good stuff.


Wish I could afford a 414.

davidfreemanmusic.net