Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Too Much Too Early

I think it's a sign of how busy things are that I have to look at my blog to see the last time I checked in.

Thursday night, I got home around 2:30 AM.  I got up at 8 to play a Yacht Rock rehearsal for the upcoming show (this coming Friday at the Buckhead Theatre).  It was a little rough.  Nick had (I think) fifteen songs that we were learning or reviewing.  I had charts for stuff, but I hadn't played any of it (except for the review tunes, which I hadn't played in six months--since Christmas in July).  We hacked through stuff until we ran out of time.  It wasn't terrible, but I didn't feel adequately prepared.

Friday afternoon was spent catching up on things at home--laundry, cleaning, bills, computer stuff.  I got in a little practice on the YR stuff.

Saturday morning, Yacht Rock was up early to drive to Greensboro, NC to play a corporate party.  That took all day.  It was a relatively painless gig, though the crowd obviously didn't quite get what we were doing--multiple requests for Brick House.  One lady yanked on my suit jacket while I was playing to make a request.  Not cool!



Sunday, we got up early and drove home.  When I got home, I ate, put my stuff away, and it was just about time to go to my evening church gig.  That went fine.

Monday morning we were up early to play on CBS Better Mornings.  No big deal--I don't think we even bothered to take pictures in front of the weather or anything.




The gig itself was a little rocky.  There were some wrong notes floated over the airwaves!  After the morning show, we had a rehearsal at the studio.  Once again, it was pretty rough--I didn't feel like I was prepared, and I wasn't sure what songs we were working on.  I had charts and I thoughts about how I wanted to play things, but I hadn't actually practiced stuff for the rehearsal.  Not good!

I got home, exercised, picked up my repaired horns from Lopes, did laundry, vacuumed the house, bought a Christmas tree...

It is now Tuesday morning…woke up in my clothes.  Time to go to another rehearsal.  Guess what…I'm not sure what we're playing, and I'm not really prepared.  There's just too much going on.

davidfreemanmusic.net