Thursday, November 24, 2011

Turkey Eve


Yacht Rock played our now annual Turkey Eve show.  This year's event was at the Park Tavern in the room upstairs (not in the tent, which now holds the ice rink!).

We played two shows.  I think both went pretty well.  The first one was just about sold out;  the second was not quite there, but still maybe five hundred people.


I really don't like playing that room very much.  Acoustically, it's a big glass shoebox;  once the sound starts bouncing around, the only thing you can do to hear yourself is to push your own volume up above the natural reverb.  It's funny that it feels the opposite downstairs--there's not enough reflection in the tent, and so I NEVER feel like I'm in the PA.

The stage has also been an issue in the past when we have played this room--the never make it deep enough and instead try and make these worthless one-stage-square wings.  When we played our Christmas show last year, all of my gear was crammed up against me, and then in the course of trying to hear myself over the room noise, my sax started feeding back.  This time, they gave us the same stage we have downstairs--much better.  I was pretty comfortable.


Anyway, I could hear OK, considering the situation.  The sound guys were pretty miserable, though.  One told me that while we were soundchecking, they pulled all the faders down and couldn't hardly hear any difference.  Ouch.  Mix that!

We debuted Your Momma Don't Dance tonight, so I brought out my bari.  I'll bring it to the Christmas show,  and then do it on tenor from there on out.

We're off tonight (no 10 High!), but back on at Atlantic Station on Friday night, 8-11 PM.  Come check us out!


Here's a little clip of Rosanna from last Friday's show at the Strand.  Worth watching for Pete's dancing.



davidfreemanmusic.net