Thursday, November 3, 2011

November 2 Quartet

I had the pleasure of playing a nice quartet gig at CNN Center Wednesday night.  The band this time was Louis Heriveaux on keyboard, Kevin Smith on bass, and Marlon Patton on drums.  Great playing!  It was a real pleasure to have these guys play with me--each one has a strong personality on his instrument.    There were lots of creative moments…and I tried to keep up!

Here's audio from the gig:



For the most part, we played to an empty room (it was more like a canyon).  The first set was supposed to be a cocktail hour, so the crowd was off to the side.  The second set was a buffet dinner, but even then it was only a couple of hundred people spread out.  It didn't feel like much.



They ignored us; we ignored them.  A lady who got on the elevator with me after the gig asked where I was playing, and her friend said "He was playing the whole night!"  The first lady replied, "I must have missed it."  Yep.

davidfreemanmusic.net