Sunday, September 11, 2011

On the Move

Friday night, it was late…I played the first set with the Yacht Rock Schooner at 37 Main in Buford.  That place gives me the impression that there is NOTHING ELSE to do in Buford--it's always packed.  The crowd was good, the band was really good.

I couldn't hear anything that I was playing.  I guess that's what you get when you don't show up to soundcheck.  I tried the old trick of playing a few notes in between songs--not very reassuring!  I think I could hear myself in the mains;  maybe not.  My position was an arm's length away from the speaker and I couldn't tell.  I had no monitor of my own, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't in any of the monitors on stage.  I think I was more or less inaudible.  Ugh.





The band was really solid--they really had a good groove going.

There were several beer bottles on the lip of the stage in front of me, and I noticed when we started Baker Street that I nudged one when I bent my knees, so then every time the hook came around, I tried to knock the other ones down.  I think I hit five.

Saturday, the Yacht Rock Revue played a wedding reception in Columbus.  Some guy heard about us and hired us sight unseen!  He also had something to do with hooking up the gig in Washington DC.

This was a fun gig to me, mostly because Mark Cobb really felt like playing--he gave the whole band energy.

We had Kevin Spencer subbing for Nick (on vacation).  He did a great job filling in.




First dance was Just the Way You Are.  I'm getting closer on the solo, but I sound a little sharp.

 Just the Way You Are sax solo by David B Freeman

Lately I've been coming up with some new stuff to play on Reminiscing.  It's funny how that kind of thing comes and goes.  I feel pretty good about that song, but (for instance) on Taking it to the Streets, I have nothing to play.  I just play bullshit through the entire end.

We played Break My Stride for the first time in a year and a half (I think).  I was sure the chorus started on G.  I insisted!  and I was wrong.  It starts on F.

Another oldie that came back was I'd Really Love to See You Tonight.  I was a little shaky in some spots.  That's almost the norm for me on that one.  I try and play it casually and then I screw up.

Other than those, I played well the entire night, and then we did Taking it to the Streets for the encore.  For some reason, I was pedaling on C instead of G.  My embarrassment kind of crushed my good feeling about the night.  Damnit!  How long have I been playing that wrong?

Church gig number one got the day off.  The "orchestra" (the church concert band) is playing.  I slept in.  It was great.

Big week this week…a couple of jazz gigs and a couple of Yacht Rock gigs.  Stay tuned.

davidfeemanmusic.net