Saturday, May 21, 2011

Uno Dos Tres Catorce at Andrews

Yacht Rock played our U2 show (Uno Dos Tres Catorce) at Andrews Upstairs/8 Traxx Disco last night.  It was a pretty good show, though the crowd never got swept up enough to make a monumental event.  Our friends the REMakes (REM tribute band) opened for us, and they were terrific, as always.  I played on a couple of songs (Finest Worksong has a brass part and Can't Get There from Here has a sax part).

The story of the night was Mark Cobb's awesome new set of Vistalites:




Very, very, very cool.  Cobb's more of a small drum sizes kind of guy, so it was pretty wild to see him behind a monster kit.  It didn't really change much for me, though.  His "sound" (for me) is his snare drum (whichever one he chooses for the night)--the other drums just compliment the snare in different ways (though I am partial to the blue sparkle kick drum).

Since I didn't have much to do on this gig, I spent a fair amount of time people watching and laughing to myself.  When we started the show, there were only two people close to the stage--two guys planted right in front of Dannells, studying his gear and his technique like the first time you see a naked woman up close.  Later on their eyes moved to the drums.  They never made it to the other side of the stage, which made me laugh:  was Greg's guitar rig not worthy of inspection?

A few songs later women began to approach the stage.  It was then that I became aware of how unattractive pockets are on a skirt.  Some girl stuck both hands in like she was trying to find her keys.  That kind of ruined it for me.

What else…what else…Pete's mom was there, sitting in a booth by herself way in the back.  Something about that looked funny to me.

There were a few captain's hats in the audience.  I wonder how disappointed they were.

Nick was particularly awesome last night.

Hans on sound.  Best night we've had there with the sound system.  Nice to have someone we trust up there.

The Andrews/8 Traxxs guys extended the stage back out by about four feet.  It made a HUGE difference.  Before it was like we were playing on a sidewalk--now it's a stage again.

Fridge full of beer.


I was loaded out very quickly--one keyboard, keyboard stand, amplifier, bag o' crap, saxophone.  When I was putting the last thing in my truck, I watched this guy (right in front of my truck) very slowly tip over and pass out.


As I backed out of my parking spot, the cops had their search light trained on him and were trying to wake him up.  Hope he enjoyed the show as much as I did!

davidfreemanmusic.net