Friday, May 6, 2011

Thursday Night

Yacht Rock was back at the 10 High last night…we hadn't been there in a few weeks, and it felt a little strange.  The people who manage the room changed some things up--added the lighted dance floor, stacked the subwoofers at the corners of the stage, and moved some of the monitors around a little.  Nothing major, but it felt a bit foreign.

The first set was really loud.  I'm not sure exactly why, but everything just felt like it was blasting, and even when I turned my volume up to balance it, things still felt out of whack.  I think that the mains were turned inward a little more and were up louder, and then the stacked subs kind of made a wall around me.  It just felt weird.  Dannells was louder than than usual and Cobb was loud, and…it just made it rough.

I had some really stupid moments in the first set--a few songs we haven't touched in a while felt really foreign, even though I'd practiced them at home.  I don't think I was unprepared, but I couldn't really get parts to fit into the band.  It was kind of like I was playing against the band.

We went on break and the Schooner guys showed up to hang out and play a few songs.  Eric Frampton played my keyboards.  I was hoping he'd impart some keyboard mojo on my stuff!  Maybe he did…I played much better in the second set.

Unfortunately, the band played a really bad second set.  I don't think we ever came back from the break, but we still had to keep playing.  We were really bad.

Last night was the debut of my new rack--I have been looking for a way to keep more of my stuff set up so that I don't take so long setting up and tearing down.  This new system has my laptop/EWI set up already hooked together, along with the mixer I run everything into, and my wireless receiver for my saxophones.  All the cables stay plugged into the mixer, so at the end of the night, I stuff them in the box, put the lid on it, and I'm done!  Way faster, especially on a night when I couldn't wait to get out of there.





Speaking of wireless, some guy wanted to know what I was taking pictures of with my saxophone.  He thought that transmitter on the bell was a camera.  Huh?