Monday, January 3, 2011

Sunday Fun

Chris Wilkes was back at the drum position for my early church gig this week.  What a relief!  He is excellent.  I really like the way he helps to shape the song--he has such a good ear for the form and dynamics, and his groove is solid.  It's funny to me that the sounds he gets such a better sound out of the same drum set I've heard the past few services.  I like playing with him a lot.

Our leader overslept this morning and showed up a half hour late.  While we were hanging out, I came to discover that we are all making different rates for the same gig.  I cannot understand why--I think, as a leader/contractor, you're asking for trouble!   It's a very difficult situation.  We'll see how it plays out.

I had really good reeds on all my horns this morning--one of those days when I probably played more than I should have because everything felt so good.

My gig Sunday night was a little ragged.  We had four singers, but none had a particularly strong voice.  It kind of sounded like four people from the congregation mic'ed up.  The pianist was evidently trying to set some sort of personal record for wrong notes, though I must admit that some of her mistakes were kind of hip--it sounded like she was reharmonizing Christmas carols.  At one point, the vocals dropped out and it was just me and the piano, and I stopped playing because I couldn't tell where she'd gone in the song.

davidfreemanmusic.net