Thursday, August 26, 2010

Please Pleaserock Me at Smith's

Please Pleaserock Me, our Beatles tribute, stormed Smith's Olde Bar again last night.  I think the show went really well, even though there were hardly any people there.  I guess the Juliette Lewis crowd wasn't interested.

(Just as a side note, I want to mention that the dressing room that Dearly Beloved used twenty-four hours previously still smelled atrociously bad.  It was all armpits and litterboxes.  They admitted/apologized to some of us that they hadn't bathed in a while.  No shit!  I think their previous encounter with soap must have been back in Canada.)

The big tune of the night was When I'm Sixty-Four.  It went pretty well.  I'm flat (of all things--after years of being twenty cents sharp, I'm finally going flat!) and the other two horns are wild with the tuning as well.  I 'm guessing that when I'm playing straight clarinet, my throat and embouchure aren't as wide open as they are when I've been playing saxophone full blast for an hour.  Thus, I'm a little low.  The clarinet wins again!

I recorded it:



Other than that, it was our usual stuff.  Jason Pellett nailed Penny Lane.  The sound was really good, particularly for the horn monitor.  I think that it helped that Greg was not there when we set the monitor mix--Jason and I want us and probably nothing else, and Greg wants everything else and us!

We always laugh that the Please Pleaserock Me gig always looks like a music store...three keyboards, a Wurly, drums, hand percussion, six or seven guitars, five amplifiers, omnichord, laptop, plus the horns--me or soprano, alto, tenor, and baritone sax, piccolo, flute, clarinet, and kazoo, Jason on piccolo trumpet, Bb trumpet, flugelhorn, and trombone, and Greg on alto sax!  We use all thirty-two channels at Smith's, and we could use more if they had them.

On the break, I stuffed the request box with Young Americans--Bowie quotes A Day in the Life, so I think it's legit.

It's a drag that Youtube took down the video of Bowie (with Sanborn) playing Young Americans live on the Dick Cavett show.  One of my favorites.  I did find it here.

Speaking of David Sanborn, I got my Dukoffs back from Will Grizzle already.  He put them back together for me.  Yay!  I played my normal one last night--it's a 7* that Mojobari opened up to .85, so it's really a D8 now.  It felt great.  I had been using a Dukoff vibracom D8 (my backup mouthpiece).  The silverite one has more bite and balls.  I love it.

Mark Cobb is the man!



davidfreemanmusic.net