Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Lucky 38

We had 38 paid attendees at the Yacht Rock Roller Disco.  Ouch.  After my personal triumph the night before, I came crashing back to earth.

What else can I say...I drank multiple beers before we began, and so I assume that the sound was only weird to me.  Ganesh filled in for Mark Cobb (!) on drums, and it felt like the gig was him and me playing in the Bat Cave.  The sound didn't get any better as I gradually returned to sobriety, though, so I think that's just the way it is.

Let's talk equipment problems, shall we?

1.  My effects pedal for my saxophone croaked.  Really, it was only the power supply that died.  It's an easy fix, and I think I only played saxophone on three songs, so it was no biggie, but it does mean a trip to the music store.

2.  My brass sound in my EWI rig (computer!) has gotten all out of wack.  I'm not sure how, but it just sounded terrible and splatty and distorted.  Fortunately I am days away from having my "Mainstage" version up and running, but I did waste some valuable time screwing around with it (to no avail).  I wonder why one sound in my setup got so mangled, but everything else is fine.  I guess it's the final push to get me to finish building my new virtual rig.  I've been holding onto Logic 7 for too long!

38 people?  Are you serious?  I predict that rollerskating at the Masquerade is on the way out.
davidfreemanmusic.net