Monday, June 14, 2010

Sunday Quartet

I played a quartet gig at the Intercontinental Hotel last night.  Unfortunately for us, it was an outdoor gig--yet another opportunity to sweat profusely!  Other than the heat and humidity(which was only bad for the first hour), things were pretty good.
The band for this one was Tyrone Jackson on keyboard, Fuji Fujimoto on bass, and Kinah Boto on drums. For whatever reason, I felt like I was struggling to light a fire under Kinah.  I played with all the intensity I could muster, but I don't think he had much to say about it.  I felt at odds with the band--the more I tried to lead them in the direction, the more I was pulling against the vibe of the group.  Should I have laid back more and gone with them?  I don't know.  I didn't say anything to him because I would rather not tell him how to play;  rather I would expect him to listen to my playing and follow me (at least when I was playing).  Ultimately, the fault lies with me.  Either way, I was kind of frustrated.






davidfreemanmusic.net