Monday, May 24, 2010

Kevin Smith's finest hour (and a half)

I played a short trio gig at the Loews Hotel in midtown this evening.  The group consisted of myself, Tyrone Jackson on keyboard, and Kevin Smith on bass.  I can't remember off the top of my head who the client was--I suppose it doesn't really matter.

We had a wonderful time, and though we all played well, I think Kevin has probably never played better on one of my gigs.  He was super groovy, had a great sound, and played logical solos.  Tyrone had an exceptionally good night too--we've played together for so long that he knows exactly the right thing to play.  He never fails to amaze me.  This was one of those gigs where I loved every second.  My dream would be for this to happen every time I played a gig.

The first twenty minutes of the gig were played to an empty room--I guess the guests were still in meetings.    Good for us!  We could hear each other, and the result was a really relaxed performance.

After our set of an hour and a half, we ate off the buffet, which ended with some crazy chocolate dessert.

The parking was free--did I mention that?  What a gig!  Not bad for a Monday.

Here's the audio:



Here are some photos:























my new suit!














the room




my friends Tyrone and Kevin

























Jeff


davidfreemanmusic.net