Friday, April 23, 2010

Thin Thursday

Yacht Rock last night at the 10 High was a thin one.  We couldn't have asked for better weather (which lately has meant better crowds), but last night was slim picking.  I was outside on the break, and there was nobody even walking on North Highland.  The entire area was a ghost town.

We played pretty well, particularly in the first set.  The second set descended into boredom, which for us means that we started twisting and pulling on the ends of songs, making them into strange concoctions of noise.  It was a relief to finally get to the end of the set and be done with it.

All of my stuff worked well.  My new laptop gave me no problems--it did exactly what I expected it to do. I did have a few moments of terror, though.  Fifteen minutes before I left home, I set it all up to double check that it would work perfectly, and that's when I found out that my MIDI to USB convertor was not talking to the computer.  AAHHHHHH!  I downloaded a driver from MAudio's website and things were fine (though they didn't have the driver for my OS, but the most recent one they had seems to do the job).   The only other hiccup I've had/am having is that Logic doesn't shut down all the way--I have to force quit it to get it to completely stop.  My feeling is that the program is maybe five years old and the OS is brand new, and they're not totally in sync.  I definitely need to upgrade Logic and get it happening.  For now, I think it'll be fine.

Yacht Rock has a big day tomorrow--a gig in Rome, GA around noon and then a gig back in Atlanta later on that night.  Lots of driving and lots of playing.  There will be lots of sleeping on Sunday.
davidfreemanmusic.net