Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Sunday

Sunday was a killer.

If I were to guess, I'd say that I fell asleep on the couch Saturday night somewhere around 2 AM.  At 5 AM, I was up seeking caffination and a weather report.  It was Easter gig time!

My first Easter gig of the day was outside at 6:30 AM.  Here's a picture of the congregation in the parking lot.  This is some sort of strange Marietta ritual!  The past two years, the temperature at start time has been 36 and 38, so 60 degrees this morning felt wonderful.

Here's a picture of Graham Kuhn (piano/vocals).  I'm not sure why were taking pictures at a church service, but we did.

Tuning was a little sketchy, but over all it was way better than in years past.  I played sax and flute on this.

When that one was over, we packed up and moved into the church gym.  Kevin Wyglad, Graham, and myself were the band for the overflow mass from the church's 8:30 service.  We ended up with a couple of hundred people in there.  I had fiddled with the keyboard before we began, and Graham ended up starting the first song with a phased clav sound instead of acoustic piano.  Oops.  I played sax and flute on this one too.

The third service I played was the 10:30 mass in the parish hall.  I also ran sound for this one (and it sounded pretty good, if I do say so myself!).  This one had me on flute, Brian Cray on piano, and Chris Cromett (I think that's correct) on vocals.  Whereas the previous two services had been fun because we have played together enough to make changes on the fly, this one was fun because we'd never played together (and Chris was REALLY nervous).  We sailed through with no problems.

After a family gathering at our house I took a multiple hour nap before jumping in the truck to run down to Buckhead to play my regular Sunday night church gig.  Nothing new to report on that one.  I think they've changed up the amplifier settings, though.  The spot where I usually put the master fader was really honkin' loud.  Loud is good, though.

I came home and fell asleep on the couch, which is why I am awake at 5:30 AM!
davidfreemanmusic.net