Saturday, March 6, 2010

Much Better























Last night's performance of the BeeGees material (and everything else for that matter) was much better.  It was really a ton of fun, and I think we all enjoyed the stuff this time.  The crowd was digging it too!  I've said this before, but it's very surreal to me when I can hear the crowd singing along.  It's a rock star moment for me.

We had chocolate cake shots on the break (which I put on my credit card).  I'd never had one before.  It was really tasty, and I don't think I even felt the alcohol (my tolerance has gone through the roof since the beginning of the year).  While we were standing at the bar, Greg had a strange moment with a crazy girl who would not stop touching his face.  Ask him about it--it's a funny story.

The second set was predictably looser but still pretty good.  We carried our collective hatred of Scott Stapp into Andrew's, but I don't think they enjoyed it as much as the 10 High Crowd.  Cobb and I had lots of little shared musical moments.  He's pretty awesome!

One strange thing about last night--due to the stack of BeeGees stuff at the beginning of the night, I didn't play any woodwinds until second set.  In the second set, I got a little big:  I Can't Go for That, Lowdown, Who Can it be Now?, and Silly Love Songs.  Coincidental but weird!  Everything else was keyboards and EWI.

We had a new soundguy last night, and he was much better.  The house guy at Andrew's was not there, so we brought in Sean from Active (that's not his name--he works primarilly for Active Productions).  He did a great job!  It's the first time in MONTHS (YOU HEAR ME YOU FAT BASTARD!  MONTHS!  I BET YOUR FAT ARMS ARE TOO HEAVY TO BUMP THE FADER UP FOR MY SOLOS!  DON'T THINK I DIDN'T NOTICE!  NOBODY'S HEARD ME IN YOUR ROOM IN MONTHS!) that my saxophone was audible in the house.  That made a huge difference for me psychologically.  I was almost giddy.  Every time I looked back there he was paying attention--headphones on, headphones off.  Very good!

Cobb and Bencuya played some GREAT stuff last night.  If you weren't there, you really missed out.  Shame on you.  It would be worth the money even if you paid attention to no one else on stage.

On the way home I received a text from Dannells reminding me that I'd left my credit card at the bar for the chocolate cake shots (just as I had predicted I would).

Today we are playing at the Park Tavern in Atlanta (with a special set of the Beatles stuff) and then Bencuya and I are racing up to Suwanee to play with the Schooner (B band) at the Wild Wing.  It's gonna be a long day.
www.davidfreemanmusic.net