Friday, November 20, 2009

Thursday, eh?


Yesterday (Thursday) was another two gig Thursday.
The first was a trio at Neiman Marcus in Lenox Square Mall--some sort of private party for big spenders. The trio was myself, David Ellington on piano, and Tommy Sauter on bass, sandwiched in between glass cases of expensive jewelry.
Once again, I had a lot of difficulty with the time. It felt to me like it was all over the place, and at times it made playing uncomfortable and frustrating. Here are the mp3s:


I ran from Lenox over to the 10 High for Yacht Rock. In honor of our last night with sub (and favorite Canuck) Kevin Spencer fronting the band, we had Canadian Tuxedo night. Since I was already dressed in a regular tuxedo, I represented for America! (in other words, I didn't change into denim). Dig this fine picture of Gordon Lightfoot, a fine Canadian in his own right, and sporting a damn fine tux. We broke out his tune Sundown last night, and we watched Strange Brew as the warm up. The winner of the Canadian Tux contest won a bottle of maple syrup.

I think we had a pretty good night. We did the same set we'd played last week on Thursday and Friday, so there were no surprises. The only wrinkle was the fact that we played the gig on borrowed gear because all of our equipment left on Wednesday morning for a gig in New York. We managed just fine. Bencuya and I managed to borrow the more or less identical keyboards, so the sounds were pretty much the same. I was super tired and super hungry by the time we finished, though.

Tomorrow's flight to New York leaves at 8:30 AM, so I'll be leaving home around 6. Ouch! No sleep for me.